No. ECI/PN/69/2020 Dated:
29th September, 2020
Subject: Biennial election to the Karnataka Legislative Council from 02 Graduates’ and 02 Teachers’ Constituencies.
The term of office of 04 members of the Karnataka Legislative Council from Graduates’ and Teachers’ Constituencies has fallen vacant on 30th June, 2020, due to the retirement of the sitting members. A statement showing the details of these seats is given below:-
Name of Constituency
Name of the Member
Date of retirement
Karnataka South-East Graduates’
R. Chowda Reddy, Thoopalli
Karnataka West Graduates’
Karnataka North-East Teachers’
2. Considering the unforeseen situation of public health emergency due to COVID-19 and the guidelines & orders passed under the Disaster Management Act, 2005 by the competent authority, the Election Commission, on 08.06.2020 passed an Order under Article 324 of Constitution of India read with section 16 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, and directed that the process of election to the abovementioned seats be initiated at a later date after reviewing the prevailing situation.
3. The Commission, having considered the inputs received from CEO, Karnataka has now decided that above mentioned biennial election to the Karnataka State Legislative Council from Graduates’ and Teachers’ Constituencies, be held in accordance with the following programme:-
Issue of Notification
01st October, 2020 (Thursday)
Last date of making nominations
08th October, 2020 (Thursday)
Scrutiny of nominations
09th October, 2020 (Friday)
Last date for withdrawal of candidature
12th October, 2020 (Monday)
Date of Poll
28th October, 2020 (Wednesday)
Hours of Poll
08:00 am to 05:00 pm
Counting of votes
02nd November, 2020 (Monday )
Date before which election shall be completed
05th November, 2020 (Thursday)
4. The Model Code of Conduct concerning these elections will come into force with immediate effect in the concerned Constituencies. Please see the details in Commission’s website under the link: https://eci.gov.in/files/file/4070-biennial-bye-elections-to-the-legislative-councils-from-council-constituencies-by-graduates%E2%80%99-and-teachers%E2%80%99-and-local-authorities%E2%80%99-constituencies-%E2%80%93-mcc-instructions-%E2%80%93-regarding/
5. Broad Guidelines to be followed during entire election processes for all persons:-
I. Every person shall wear face mask during every election related activity
II. At the entry of hall/ room/ premises used for election purposes:
(a) Thermal Scanning of all persons shall be carried out:
(b) Sanitizer shall be made available at all locations
III. Social distancing shall be maintained as per the extant COVID-19 guidelines of the State Govt. and Ministry of Home Affairs.
IV. As far as practicable, large halls should be identified and utilized to ensure social distancing norms.
V. Adequate number of vehicles shall be mobilized for movement of polling personnel, security personnel to ensure compliance of COVID-19 guidelines.
6. For broad guidelines to be followed strictly during the conduct of election during Covid-19, please refer to the guideline available on Commission’s website under link:- https://eci.gov.in/files/file/12167-broad-guidelines-for-conduct-of-general-electionbye-election-during-covid-19/