Dated: 09th November, 2021
Subject: Biennial Elections to 11 sitting members of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council from 08 Local Authorities’ Constituencies –reg.
The term of office of 11 sitting members of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council from 08 Local Authorities’ Constituencies had expired as per details below: -
Name of Local Authorities Constituencies
No. of seat(s)
Name of member
Date of Retirement
Anantapur Local Authorities
Payyavula Keshav (Vacant w.e.f 04.06.2019 due to non availability of desired electoral roll)
Krishna Local Authorities’
Venkateswara Rao Buddha
Yalamanchili Venkata Babu
East Godavari Local Authorities’
Guntur Local Authorities’
Annam Satish Prabhakar (Vacant w.e.f 04.06.2019 due to non availability of desired electoral roll)
Vizianagaram Local Authorities’
Dwarapureddi Jagadeeswara Rao
Visakhapatnam Local Authorities’
Buddha Naga Jagadeswara Rao
Chalapathi Rao Pappala
Chittoor Local Authorities’
Prakasam Local Authorities’
Magunta Sreenivasulu Reddy (Vacant w.e.f 04.06.2019 due to non-availability of desired electoral roll)
2. Biennial elections to fill up 11 seats could not be conducted by 11.08.2021 as the Constituent Local Bodies/Electors were not in existence at that time. The Commission vide letter dated 07.06.2021 had sought information regarding existence of constituent Local Bodies functioning and their percentage in the said Constituencies. The CEO, Andhra Pradesh vide letter dated 23.06.2021 had informed that of the above (8) Local Authorities’ Constituencies in Andhra Pradesh, the percentage of constituent Local Bodies functioning was ranging between 6.98 and 16 and the percentage of electors in position was ranging between 17.75 and 27.50 as elections to most of the local bodies in these 8 Local Authorities Constituencies were either pending or were not conducted by the State Election Commission, Andhra Pradesh.
3. Now, as per the information received from the CEO, Andhra Pradesh vide letter dated 01.10.2021, both the percentage of constituent Local Bodies functioning and the percentage of electors in position is above 75%, in respect of above mentioned 08 Local Authorities’ Constituencies in Andhra Pradesh.
4. With regard to Local Authorities’ Constituencies election, the Election Commission has laid down the guidelines that if atleast 75% of the local authorities in a local authorities’ constituency are functioning, and in addition at least 75% of the electors out of the total electorate of the constituency are available, then electorate is treated as available for electing representative(s) to the legislative council. These guidelines of the Election Commission got the approval of Supreme Court of India in Election Commission of India Vs Shivaji and Ors (AIR 1988 SC 61).
5. The Commission having re-assessed Covid-19 pandemic situation in the State of Andhra Pradesh and after taking into consideration all relevant facts, has now decided to conduct biennial election to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council from above-mentioned 08 Local Authorities’ Constituencies in accordance with the following programme:-
DATES & DAYS
Issue of Notifications
16th November, 2021 (Tuesday)
Last date of making nominations
23rd November, 2021 (Tuesday)
Scrutiny of nominations
24th November, 2021 (Wednesday)
Last date for withdrawal of candidatures
26th November, 2021 (Friday)
Date of poll
10th December, 2021 (Friday)
Hours of poll
08:00 am to 04:00 pm
Counting of Votes
14th December, 2021 (Tuesday)
Date before which election shall be completed
16th December, 2021 (Thursday)
6. Broad Guidelines of Covid-19 as already issued by ECI as well as the recent guidelines issued by ECI as contained in para 06 of Press Note dated 28.09.2021 available at link https://eci.gov.in/candidate-political-parties/instructions-on-covid-19/ to be followed, wherever applicable, during entire election process for all persons.
7. The Model Code of Conduct concerning the said election will come into force with immediate effect in the concerned Constituency. Please see the details in Commission’s website under https://eci.gov.in/files/file/4070-biennial-bye-elections-to-the-legislative-councils-from-council-constituencies-by-graduates%E2%80%99-and teachers%E2%80%99-and-local-authorities%E2%80%99-constituencies-%E2%80%93-mcc-instructions-%E2%80%93-regarding/
8. The Chief Secretary, Andhra Pradesh is being directed to depute a senior officer from the State to ensure that the extant instructions regarding COVID-19 containment measures are complied with while making arrangements for conducting the election.