The Election Commission of India used an application called ‘Suvidha’ for giving permissions during the elections. This application was prepared for each state and had limited functionality. The State-specific requirements were not factored into the application. The application was web-only and there was no mobile application to update the status to the candidate / political parties. There had been a persistent demand for state-specific customisation and common login.
However now, the Political Parties or any individual candidate can apply for permissions, in an online or offline mode, during elections using Encore Web Application. Permission module allows the candidates, political parties or any representatives of the candidate to apply for the permission for meetings, rallies, temporary offices, and others. The app goes live after the election dates are announced. Candidates can also track their application status through Encore Web Application and also by using Candidate App from Google Play Store. This application replaced the old ‘Suvidha’ App and integrated into ENCORE application. It was launched on 10 March 2019.
The valid permissions can be now checked by the citizens using the cVIGIL app also. The app will also authenticate whether the permissions displayed by the political party or the candidate is valid or not.
Features of the application
There are two web portals in the Encore-Permissions:
- Apply applications in Offline Mode.
- Apply applications in Online Mode- Visit https://suvidha.eci.gov.in/ & to check the application status download the android mobile app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=suvidha.eci.gov.in.candidateapp&hl=en_IN.
=> Offline Mode allows Assistant Electoral Registration Officer/ Returning Officer/ District Election Officer/ Chief Electoral Officer/ Permission Cell Incharge level officers to apply offline permissions.
=> Online Mode allows candidates to apply permissions directly using the candidate web application.
This system is for applying, processing, granting and monitoring permissions. Candidates and political parties can apply for permissions during the Election Campaign.
- All masters (permission assign level, police station, approval authority, locations, permission cell in charge) will be created at CEO/DEO/RO level & thereafter candidates/political parties can apply for permissions.
- Candidate/Political parties can apply for permissions 48 hours prior to the date of event and this permission is valid up to 72 hrs from the date of issue.
- Candidates/Political parties will receive the updates via SMS.
- Officers-CEO/DEO/RO will also receive the new application update via SMS.
- Permissions apply mode both Offline & Online will be stopped 48 hrs before the poll date.
Outcome of the application
The Encore Permissions platform has been widely used by candidates in both national and state elections. In 2019 general elections, a total number of permissions were 2,48,737, while on the other hand 77,093 candidates’ permissions were received in 2019 state elections.