The Election Commission of India has been focussing on providing relevant content to all the stakeholders through various measures. ECI main website is the first contact point for any citizen who is able to use the internet. The ECI Main website is also the platform which is used by Election Officials from ECI, States and Districts extensively use it for retrieving relevant information. Similarly, the main site is used by Media and Statisticians. The challenge is to bring all the content in a readable manner for all stakeholders.
The new website of Election Commission of India (https://eci.gov.in) is completely revamped website featuring a streamlined and simplified design, improved functionality, and enriched content areas which will help visitors to make well-informed decisions regarding their election-related matters.
The new website has been built keeping users in mind. The streamlined user interface provides a more interactive experience, allowing users to easily find the information they are looking for. Visitors can browse the website based on their own interests and learn more about Election Process in a more engaging way.
The ECI Main website contains an enormous amount of data including everything from history, elections, statistics, photo gallery, current news, press releases, and others. The mobile-optimized ECI site is a far more advanced website which can reformat itself for handheld or tablet devices without the need to be re-written for each. Also, a combination of reformatting and re-optimizing the site as a whole provides practical flexibility beyond imagination.
The main website of the ECI was made more accessible with features such as Screen Reader Access, Table Headers, Structured Headings, Friendly URLs, and Alternate Text etc. This made the website content available to persons with disabilities in a very friendly manner.
With a number of powerful tools to help users to discover new content, the new website decreases the time users spend searching for relevant content of his choice. A full search engine is included with precise controls for finding.
Dynamic Content and Sharing: The new ECI website provides extensive sharing feature through modes such as Email, Facebook, Twitter, and others. Also, the decentralized content deployment ensures accurate and fast dissemination of news, circulars, as well as messages uploaded by each division.
The website was launched on 12 November 2018.
- Responsive Design: The New Website is fully mobile optimized. The mobile-optimized ECI site is a far more advanced website. Mobile optimized means that the ECI site will reformat itself for handheld or tablet devices. Larger navigation buttons, the reformatted content, and differently optimized images appear when the user is on an iPhone/ Android or another device. Not only is the new ECI website mobile optimized, but it is also with a fully responsive design. Responsive design means that the ECI site is completely flexible regardless of device. Rather than detecting a specific browser type or device type, the website automatically orients itself based on the screen size of the device. A combination of reformatting and re-optimizing the site as a whole provides practical flexibility beyond imagination.
- Revamped and easy navigation: The site has been primarily designed keeping in view Citizens, Electors, Candidates, Political party, Researchers, Media, and ECI Officials. The categorization has also been kept in mind for purposes of easy navigation and role-based access control. The new website has further enhanced the security features keeping in view the Cyber Security Regulations of ECI
- Advanced search: With a number of powerful tools to help users to discover new content, the new website decreases the time users spend searching for relevant content of his choice. A full search engine is included with precise controls for finding content. With a wide range of filters available and the ability to drill down by content type, finding relevant content is simple. It's convenient too - the quick search box is available on every page.
- Universally Accessible: The site has been made accessible for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs). The newly designed website has accessible features like screen reader access, high contrast, structured headings e.t.c
- Dynamic Content & Sharing: One of the paramount requirements of the modern world is faster information sharing through various social media platforms. The new ECI website provides extensive sharing features through modes such as Email, Facebook, Twitter, and others. The decentralized content deployment will ensure accurate and fast dissemination of news, circulars, and messages.
The Election Commission of India website is the anchor website catering to all the requirements of all the stakeholders. With the advent of the new website, there has been a better engagement with the voters, easy access to its contents, forms, publications, statistical reports, and integration with various web and mobile applications.
The content is uploaded dynamically by the respective divisions of the ECI and has made the information publication much simplified and fast. As of now 10,197 documents are available for downloads and from its launch, it has witnessed 4,255,656 downloads.