About This File
GENERAL ELECTIONS TO LOK SABHA, 2019 and GENERAL ELECTION TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF ANDHRA PRADESH, ARUNACHAL PRADESH, ODISHA 7 SIKKIM and BYE ELECTIONS TO FILL THE CLEAR VACANCIES IN ASSEMBLY CONSTITUENCIES OF VARIOUS STATES - PROHIBITION ON SALE OF LIQUOR.
Section 135 C of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 which provides that no spirituous, fermented or intoxicating liquors or other substances of a like nature shall be sold, given or distributed at a hotel, eating house-, tavern, shop or any other place, public or private, within a polling area, during the period of forty-eight hours ending with the hour fixed for the conclusion of poll for any election in the polling area.
2. In view of the statutory provision as above, 'Dry Day' shall be declared and notified under the relevant State/Union Territory laws as is appropriate during 48 hours, ending with the hours fixed for conclusion of poll as indicated in the Commission's notification with respect to polling day for an election in that polling area' where elections to Parliamentary Constituencies, State Legislative Assemblies or bye- elections to Legislative Assemblies are being held. This wilt include the dates of re-poll, if any.
3. The Commission further directs that the dates on which counting of votes is to be taken up, i.e.. 23.05.2019 shall also be declared 'Dry Day' under the relevant laws in all the States/Union Territories.
4 No liquor shops, hotels, restaurants, clubs and other establishments selling/serving liquor, shall be permitted to sell/serve liquor to anyone whosoever, on the aforesaid days.
5 Non-proprietary clubs, star hotels, restaurants etc. and hotels run by anyone, even if they are issued different categories of licenses for possession and supply of liquor, should also not be permitted to serve liquor on these days.
6.- The storage or liquor by individuals shall be curtailed during the above period and the restrictions provided in the Excise-law on,the storage of liquor in unlicensed premises shall be vigorously enforced.
7. Steps shall also be taken to prohibit sale of liquor in adjoining areas of the concerned constituency(ies) so that there is no chance of clandestine movement of liquor from those -areas, had restriction not been in operation.
8. The Commission directs that the State Governments/UT Administrations shall strictly implement the above measures in the phase-wise election schedule as mentioned in the Commission's Notification(s) for your State. They are required to issue detailed and comprehensive instructions to all concerned authorities, to take appropriate and legally effective measures to implement the above prohibitions and assist the election authorities In peaceful and smooth conduct of free and fair poll..
9. The receipt of this letter may kindly be acknowledged.