About This File
Dated: 15th October, 2019
The Chief Electoral Officers of
Haryana & Maharashtra.
Subject: - Pre-certification of Political Advertisements in Print Media on the day of poll & one day prior to poll in Haryana & Maharashtra– regarding.
I am directed to state that instances of advertisements of offending and misleading nature published in print media have been brought to the notice of the Commission in the past. Such advertisements in the last stage of the election vitiate the entire election process. The affected candidates and parties will not have any opportunity of providing clarification/rebuttal in such cases.
2. In order to ensure that such instances are not repeated, and no untoward incident takes place because of any inflammatory, misleading or hate advertisements, the Commission, in exercise of its powers under Article 324 of the Constitution, and all other powers enabling it in this behalf, hereby directs that no Political Party or Candidate or any other Organization or Person shall publish any Advertisement in the print media on poll day and one day prior to poll day i.e. 20th and 21st October, 2019, unless the contents of the Advertisement proposed to be published by the Political Parties, Candidates etc. are got Pre-certified by them from the MCMC Committee at the State/District level, as the case may be, in your State.
3. It is further directed that in order to facilitate the process of pre-certification of the newspaper advertisements and as instructed above, MCMC at State/district level be immediately alerted and activated in order to examine and pre-certify all such advertisements received from the political parties and candidates and others. It should also be ensured that the decision by MCMC is made expeditiously.
4. The above direction of the Commission may be brought to the notice of Presidents of all political parties, contesting candidates and Newspapers in the State and also given wide publicity to all Media of Mass Communication for general information and strict compliance.
5. These directions shall come into force immediately.
6. A copy of the instruction issued in this behalf may be endorsed to the Commission urgently.