Electoral Roll Division
By e-mail/Speed Post
ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA
NIRVACHAN SADAN, ASHOKA ROAD, NEW DELHI -110001
No.23/2019-ERS (Vol. III)
Dated: 25th July, 2019
The Chief Electoral Officers of all States & UTs
(except Haryana, Jharkhand and Maharashtra)
Subject: - Special Summary Revision of Photo Electoral Rolls w.r.t. 01.01.2020 as qualifying date - Further Instructions-regarding.
I am directed to refer to the Commission’s letter of even no. dated 25.07.2019 on the subject cited, sending the schedule for the SSR of Photo Electoral Rolls w.r.t. 01.01.2020along with the necessary instructions/guidelines and to state that Commission, in order to make the programme of pre-revision and revision of electoral rolls a success, has directed that the following activities shall be undertaken immediately:
1. CEOs shall conduct meetings through video conference with the DEOs, EROs and Roll Observers to brief them about the schedule and activities of SSR, 2020, in detail. The CEOs will also formulate and execute an effective SVEEP campaign at the state, district and assembly constituency level. All the Roll Observers shall be involved in the SVEEP campaign. SVEEP campaign shall be targeted to all citizens encouraging them to join EVP using the voter helpline App, NVSP and voter facilitation centres / Common Service Centres (CSCs) which on authorization by the DEO, would be given access and login credentials on NVSP.
2. All DEOs and CEO shall separately call meetings of political parties and inform them schedule of SSR, 2020, & seek their cooperation to mobilize their functionaries at ground level. They may also be requested to ask their BLAs to give information and details regarding dead, shifted and un-enrolled eligible citizens of the area assigned to them.
3. To facilitate the non-digital savvy citizens, electoral services through CSC need to be made available.In this connection, I am to refer to the Commission’s instructions contained in its letter dated 27th March, 2019 relating to CSC and to state that District Election Officer concernedwith the leadership of CEO, will authorize Common Service Centers (CSCs) to provide electoral services by 31.07.2019 in a drive mode. List of CSCs with their catchment area will be available on ERO-Net.Permission for electoral services to be provided through the CSCs will be obtained from ECI, IT team.
4. In addition,as per Commission’s existing instructions, PwD citizenswill be given facility for verification through 1950.
5. Verification by Booth Level Officers: As mentioned in the Commission’s letter dated 25.07.2019, the BLOs during House to House (H2H) visits, will verify the information/ details collected from citizens and also collect the information/ details in respect of those electors who have not authenticated their details, information of un-enrolled and prospective voters. Before undertaking H2H verification the BLO and BLO Supervises will make a pre-audit of details obtained throughcrowd sourcing. The Commission has directed that whole exercise will be made citizen friendly. The verification to be made by the BLOs through BLO app. Therefore, BLOs should be trained intensively and the BLOs who are not tech-savvy will be replaced by BLOs who have knowledge to use mobile app, immediately. In order to incentivize BLOs using the app, they may be given honorarium, as per the Commission’s instructions contained in letter no. 23/LET/ECI/FUNC/ERD-ER/2016 dated 27.10.2017. State Nodal officer to give training to EROs & BLOs through DLMTs.
6. Standardization of Sections and addresses: To standardize the addresses of electors the following fields of addresses shall be maintained while preparing the roll on separately for rural and urban area. The mandatory and optional fields are as below:
(a.) House No./ Flat No./Door No. (Name of house, if available)*
(b.) Floor No. (in case of multi-story building)
(c.) Building No./Block No./ Tower No. ( name of building, if available)
(d.) Apartment No.
(f.) Ward No.*
(g.) Street/ Road/Lane*
(j.) Landmark, if any
6.1 The fields marked with (*) should be mandatorily mentioned in the electors details, while the remaining fields may be taken as optional fields and be included wherever necessary (like in urban areas). The CEO/DEO would be given facility on ERO-Net to include the other fields in the mandatory category as prevalent in the State/District. Where no House no. as given by the Panchayat/Municipal Authorities is available, the notional number will be given in the roll. In such case, it will be invariably indicated that the House no. is notional. The mandatory address fields will be mentioned in the electoral roll and the same will be reflected as it is in the epic of the elector.
6.2 The electors will be tagged as family and arranged in the roll in sequence, according to the House no. (and Floor no. of the building).
6.3 While creating a new polling station or re-organizing the existing polling stations by creating/merging/ attaching sections to the adjacent polling stations, the fulfillment of following conditions should be ensured:
(a) No family is broken and all the family members are kept in the same section at the same place,
(b) Electors residing in a building are enrolled in the same part,
(c) As far as possible electors residing in a Street are enrolled in the same part,
(d) The electors of so merged/attached polling station are not required to travel for more than two Kilometer distance and to cross any natural barriers.
6.4 Improved NazriNaksha will be prepared with names of street, landmarks, House no. and No. of buildings. Following improved mapsshall be prepared by using technology of Geo location, GIS maps and CAD maps:
(a.) NazariNaksha (Street name with Section Marking)
(b.) Google Map View
(c.) Polling Station Building Front View
(d.) CAD View (indicating arrangements within the polling booth)
(e.) Key Map View (with the indication of how to reach)
6.5 Part boundary maps can be prepared in following ways:
Map of City/Town/Village be taken from respective planning department and parts are marked on it by hand or
Map is prepared using a GIS Tool or
Notional Part Boundary is prepared using IT application. In this a mobile device is used and coordinates are captured by moving around the part.
6.6 Section boundary identification can be done in following ways after preparation of part boundary:
Map of the part is prepared and marking of houses is done with house number. If house number is not there then a notional house number is given. Then sections are created by grouping the electors based on house number. After creation of section it’s naming is done.
Satellite view of the part is taken and superimposed on part boundary map. Then habitation is marked by hand and sections are created by grouping the electors based on house number. If house number is not there then a notional house number is given. After creation of section it’s naming is done.
6.7 Existing Polling Station is marked on the map by capturing its coordinates using mobile device. Elector can raise concerns about any natural barrier coming while going to polling station. Information about probable Polling Station can also be provided by elector and its coordinates can be captured by mobile device and marked on Part Boundary Map.
7. Status of Assured Minimum Facilities (AMFs) and additional facilities at the polling stations will be captured with the photograph of Polling Stations. This exercise is to be completed by 31st August, 2019.
8. The Commission has been very concerned about wrongful deletion of names of electors of electoral roll. Detailed safeguard has been laid down in the letter dated 25.07.2019, referred to above. In addition to that, the Commission has also directed that all the notices for deletions/ hearings served to the concerned electors and proceedings of the same will be uploaded on the ERO net.
9. The programme will be rolled out with discussions with CEOs through video conference on 30.07.2019. After that, necessary trainings will be arranged by IT Division to State Nodal Officer / SLMT who in turn would train DLMTs to impart training to all EROs/AEROs/BLOs, Nodal Officers and technical staff manning the contact centers etc. Whenever CEOs require any help or assistance that will be provided by the IT Division and/ or ER Division.
The above instructions shall be brought to the notice of all the concerned immediately.